Sunday, May 14, 2006

ebay

Something I was totally wrong about is ebay. I vividly remember, back in 99-2000 (before the dotcom crash, but when it seemed pretty likely that the market couldn't keep booming forever) talking about who would survive the fallout, and I used to say that of the big players of the time ebay was one that wouldn't make it. Anyway, I was wrong. It has exploited network effects incredibly well and turned itself into a massive business. Although not one without challenges.

To date I've had a pretty-much perfect customer experience with ebay, but it's always interesting to see the other side of a person-to-person interchange. I was an underbidder on a reasonably expensive item the other day (I actually ended up bidding a couple of hundred dollars less than the winning bidder), but after it closed I was emailed by someone (presumably the seller) asking me to take up a second chance offer by emailing him back [ie. to buy directly from him, not via the ebay site]. The email was signed 'ebay inc' and purported to be an official ebay communication, but was so obviously dodgy it was sort of funny. I played along and emailed back, and got a further 'official' email assuring me this was indeed an ebay-sanctioned second chance offer.

Then today I get this from a totally different email address (identifying info deleted):

Hello,
Can you please tell me if you are still interested in my item ? ( ####) > Item number: ####.
I need to sell it asap and the winning bider said that he is not interested anymore. I've just received an e-mail from eBay, with the full support of the SquareTrade Center team telling me that I could sell my item to the other bidders according to eBay's rules and policy regarding to the second chance offer . So I am willing to sell it to you for your last bid price: AU $####.
Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks

Some dodgy shit going down.

No complaints with ebay customer support 'tho - they've been v responsive (even over the weekend).

No comments: