Monday, September 15, 2008

dfw RIP



The world is a less interesting place - David Foster Wallace is dead.

He was the author of Infinite Jest, a novel that changed the way I saw the world and that inspired me with its raw creativity.

He was the author of brilliant fictional short (and less short) stories: Philosophy and the mirror of nature, ...

He was a phenomenal essayist: Derivative Sport in Tornado Alley, David Lynch Keeps his Head, Host ...

He was funny: A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Consider the Lobster, ...

He had greater insight into the male condition than anyone else I've heard or read: Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, Adult World (I), Adult World (II), A Radically Condensed History of Postindustrial Life, ...

See the LA Times. See Salon. See NYT. See Silicon Alley Insider. See a 1997 interview. See a transcript of his 2005 commencement address at Kenyon.

He can no longer be my favourite living author. I loved his short stories and essays, but was still waiting for the follow up to IJ. It will never come. 46 was far too young.

My words are inadequate.

No comments: