Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Marie Antoinette


Saw Marie Antoinette on Xmas Day.

I can see why it's had less then glowing reviews, but I really enjoyed it.

I believe the film confirmed Sofia Coppola's talent . I am a big fan of Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation - and now MA. It's clear that Coppola is not exactly a plot-driven director; but she has displayed real talent at capturing the life and times of a young woman and
walking an audience through her world for a couple of hours.

The film looked simply amazing; the Versailles scenes (almost the whole film) define decadence and I thought Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwarzman gave fantastic performances. And I can't help but love any film with Rip Torn in it.

A sure-fire win for every costume design and art direction award in 2007.

1 comment:

Paul Martin said...

My order of preference is Lost in Translation, Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette. I felt it achieved little, particularly seeing as it cost 5 times as much as LIT's budget to make. Yeah, looked nice, and Dunst et al were good, but what was the point?

Found your blog from a search for Em 4 Jay, which I reviewed on IMDB. I note we share the same favourite film. I reviewed Lost Highway for Melbourne Cinematheque's screening at ACMI late last year (not online yet, but planning to post on my blog soon).