Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A transitional era + coup in Fiji

Growing up, we often holidayed in Fiji. I have a real affection for the place and like to keep an eye on developments. As [yet another] coup unfolds today - so far without violence (so far as I know) - I am simultaneously relying on and cursing the Internet.

News of previous coups - eg the 80s and 90s versions - came primarily from the newspaper, with a smattering of radio + tv coverage. As a 2000's coup, this one is unfolding via The Age and the ABC. For example, see here and here. All very sad.

A few minutes ago I realised the extent to which I take the the constant availability of new news for granted (I guess we all do nowadays); I was frustrated because I hadn't been able to find a coup update less than 20 minutes old.... given the current state of play the ability to follow political events in a small pacific nation with a 20 minute lag is probably as good as it gets.

But I have a pretty firm belief that generation next [to use a hideous buzzword as a shortcut to mean the generation who don't really remember / identify with the world pre-popular-internet] won't find a 20 minute lag acceptable. When shit's going down, they'll want live streamed video, they'll want the latest blogs and vblogs and they'll want it wherever they happen to be at the time. A service like gnoos, which is all about recency, therefore has to be on the right track - accuracy is important [and is a given] but i want to know what's happening right now.

No comments: