Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My introduction to Israel - part one

M and I have begun our belated honeymoon and are in Tel Aviv on the first leg of our 8 weeks of travels.
 
We are having a fantastic time.  Tel Aviv has an amazing energy and beautiful beaches and I am loving being in Israel.  It is a very emotional experience for me - in particular today we visited the Museum of the Diaspora (the Jews of the world) and I was overcome by all of the history and by the continued existence of the Jewish people against all odds.  It is absolutely fascinating to see how much more complicated (and interesting) the reality of Israel is in comparisin to the theory one reads about.  More of my theories of life later.
 
Yesterday we took a tour to Israel's north - Ceasarea, Haifa and Akka (Acre).  Roman ruins, Crusader castles, arab souqs, Ba'hai gardens and much more.  All very rushed, but incredible.  The labyrinths of tunnels and chambers created by the Crusaders in the middle ages are beyond description. 
 
Old Jaffa (a few kilometres from Tel Aviv) is also very beautiful.  An amazing old town with narrow, winding streets and beautiful architecture.  Almost wholly unlike the soviet-style concrete monstrosities making up much of Tel Aviv.
 
Much great food.  But I won't bore you with the details.
 
Given that I'm on my honeymoon, also beyond description are the sights on Tel Aviv's beaches. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tell me more about the food!

Baleboosteh said...

Oh, you are so lucky! I would love to visit Israel, especially Old Jaffa.
Have a wonderful time!

Baleboosteh
(A Jewish Australian who hasn't visited Israel as yet!) :D